In previous seasons when the Eagles have come up short they have shown some willingness to correct their wrongs. After the Tampa Bay loss they realized the need to get younger, depending less on aging veterans at key positions. After the Carolina loss they realized that they really did have garbage at the WR position. Insert T.O., hello Super Bowl.
What do the Eagles need to do following yet another NFC Championship Game loss? I am thinking...
- Offensive Line (specifically OT): Runyan and Thomas are too old to be the answer. Unfortunately because of poor drafting at least one of these old guys is coming back next season. Can Andrews or Herremans move to the outside, with Cole or Maxie stepping in as a starter at Guard?
- Running Back: The NFL way is a two back system. Unfortunately for the Eagles they have difficulty even using one back. To get the most out of the aging Westbrook, the Eagles did a young back to compliment him and also groom for the future.
- Tight End: L.J. Smith should now finally be gone. Celek showed promise as a receiving TE during the playoffs. Even if Celek is the starter, the Eagles did to bring in a TE whose strength is blocking.
- Full Back: I love Klecko's heart, but to maximize the running game we need a FB who is a true FB. Someone who is a natural lead blocker for the run game and can also run and catch if called upon.
- Safety: Mikell is a stud and I would be shocked if Dawkins isn't given a new deal. I am still not yet sold on Demps as the future. Bring in some competition to push Demps.