Here are some of my thoughts and reactions to the Eagles' season so far:
- The team's extremely weak at cornerback. Samuel isn't a lockdown corner and is getting older, Hobbs is most definitely nothing more than a nickel corner, and Patterson is ok as a third, though he looked pretty good against the Colts replacing Hobbs. I'd like to see more out of Lindley, as I really liked him coming out of the draft.
- Nate Allen looks like he'll be the starting free safety for years. Good instincts, very high football iq, not afraid to make a big tackle (unlike Samuel), and is still only going to get better.
- Graham isn't playing like the preseason favorite to win DROY. He has looked great at times, but I think we all expected too much out of a rookie in a tough defense to learn. I still think he and Cole will be a top d-end duo next year.
- It can be argued that our receiving corps is one of the best in the league. DeSean and Maclin are one of the most explosive duos I've seen in a long time, Avant is the most sure-handed third WR in the game, and Cooper has shown flashes of being a great vertical threat. Celek is having a down year statistically, but I think that's more because Vick doesn't look to him very much than poor play on his part.
- This team's inevitably going to have to make a huge decision come 2011. Vick or Kolb? They're going to trade one of them, though I'd like to see them both stay, with Kolb serving as the backup to #7.
Now, here are my Vegas picks for the week (home team in caps):
Baltimore (+1) over ATLANTA
Houston (+1) over JACKSONVILLE
MIAMI (+1) over Tennessee
Minnesota (-1) over CHICAGO
Kansas City (-1) over DENVER
St. Louis (+6) over SAN FRANCISCO
Dallas (+14) over NEW YORK GIANTS
CLEVELAND (+3) over New York Jets
Philly (-3) over WASHINGTON
I know those aren't all of the games, but for some reason some of the lines weren't up on Bodog.
Lock of the week: St Louis +6 over San Fran. San Francisco shouldn't be giving six points to anyone.